How You Can Release the Brakes so You Really Succeed!

February 14th, 2011

18 Comments

Build a bridge and avoid a barrier to your great success

“How do I deal with the job interview question: ‘What is one of your weaknesses?’” — asked one of my graduate students.

I replied that one needs to talk about an “okay” weakness.

What is that?

It’s a weakness that you have identified, that you’ve gained coaching on, and that you have a daily method to handle. (And that’s how you talk about the weakness: you gained coaching and you work on it daily. In this way, you demonstrate that you’re coachable and flexible, and you’re a fast learner. Ideal qualities for a new hire.)

The big point is that the weakness is something you can work on and it is not a fixed characteristic.

What’s a fixed characteristic? “Shy.” “Bad with numbers.” “Messy.” “Disorganized.”

When you want to make a leap forward in your career and in your life, use this pattern:

“Before now, I did not [devote time to clear my desk],
and today, I’m going to [put in 15 minutes to clear my desk before I leave for the evening.]

When you let go of the tendency to give yourself disempowering labels (for a supposed characteristic), you’ll find that your personal energy is enhanced.

For example, Alandra has a messy desk. But she is not a messy person. Her computers files are impeccably arranged on her laptop computer and she has style and grace with her appearance. So she benefits from the above pattern: “Before now, I did not _______, and today, I’m going to _____.”

Be careful about the labels you say about yourself; the labels can turn into negative self-fulfilling prophesies. In effect, when you give yourself a label, you are programming your own thinking and behavior — which lead to the results you experience.

For example, I tell myself that I have an excellent memory. Recently, I contacted the author of an audio program Achieving Excellence that I heard more than 20 years ago. He was surprised to hear that I share one of his particular ideas with my current graduate students.

You see, this is another example that I emphasize to myself that I do have an excellent memory.

What do you want to emphasize about yourself? Are you insightful, trustworthy, creative . . .?

Good for you!

And remember that an “okay” weakness to mention in a job interview is something that you have identified,
gained coaching on (or attended a workshop),
and have a daily method to handle.

Use these distinctions and you’ll get more done and feel better doing it.

Warmly,

P.S. In this New Year, please consider bringing useful methods and skills to family, friends and even yourself with Tom’s 4 books at Amazon.com

New Book: 10 Seconds to Wealth: Master the Moment using Your Divine Gifts now available on Amazon.com at http://amzn.to/gDub2e [See a video

about 10 Seconds to Wealth at www.TenSecondstoWealth.com

Nothing Can Stop You This Year: How to Unleash Your Hidden Power to Persuade Well, Get More Done, Gain Sudden Profits, Command Intuition and Feel Great – free chapter at http://bit.ly/8zQywm

Do you really want to connect with someone important? (a friend, a loved one, a job interviewer, a supervisor). See a free chapter:

Be Heard and Be Trusted:
How You Can Use Secrets of the Greatest Communicators to Get What You Want, 3rd editionfree chapter at http://bit.ly/8H0rOO

P.P.S. Get a Free Special Report “9 Deadly Mistakes to Avoid  . . . and 9 Surefire Solutions for Your Next Speech”
and learn the secrets Tom Marcoux, America’s Communication Coach, provides for CEOs, Business Owners, and Graduate Students Click for Your Free Report

Author of

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Categories: Double Your Sales, How to Be Trusted, Your Guide to Money and Abundance

18 Responses to “How You Can Release the Brakes so You Really Succeed!”

1. Alfredo Says:
    February 14th, 2011 at 4:09 PM

2. Marc Secher Says:
    February 14th, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Tom,

This is a great way to begin evaluating one’s self to find which characteristics, negative or bad, could be used as an advantage. And setting time to make the negative characteristics become a positive is the most powerful of all.

Best wishes

Marc

3. Tom Marcoux Says:
    February 14th, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Alfredo,
    about “Extremely helpful details! I have been previously searching for something similar to this for a while now. Appreciation!”

Thank you.
    many happy moments,

4. Tom Marcoux Says:
    February 14th, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Marc,
    about “setting time to make the negative characteristics become a positive is the most powerful of all.”

I hear you.
    And I like to make a distinction between
    characteristic (fixed)
    and
    area to improve (something that one can work on).

Marc, I went to your website: http://marcsecher.com/
    and saw that you do truly artistic, compelling work in
    a number of areas including motion graphics, video editing, print, and website work.
    Congratulations.

a great day,

5. Rapid Gigabitz Says:
    February 15th, 2011 at 7:44 AM

6. Yvonne Says:
    February 15th, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I would really like to say thanks such a lot of for your work you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same effective work by you down the road too.

7. Tom Marcoux Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Yvonne,
    about “I would really like to say thanks such a lot of for your work you have made in writing this post.”

Thank you!
    a great day,

8. Tom Marcoux Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Kate,
    about “i like “How You Can relinquish the Brakes so You Really Succeed!” since im your rss reader”

Sounds great.
    Thank you.
    many good moments,

9. ip check Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 4:35 PM

10. ip locatation Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Good article. I am constantly browsing online for ideas that can help me.

11. Tom Marcoux Says:
    February 17th, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Jale,
    about “You made certain fine points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found the majority of persons will agree with your blog.”

thank you.
    a great day,

12. Tom Marcoux Says:
    February 18th, 2011 at 1:15 AM

J Caultre,
    about “Good article. I am constantly browsing online for ideas that can help me.”

Thanks.

13. Lisa Young Says:
    February 18th, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Once again Tom, you nailed it and many will learn and grow from you.

Lisa

14. Tom Marcoux Says:
    February 18th, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Lisa,
    about “Once again Tom, you nailed it and many will learn and grow from you. Thank you for all you do”

Thanks for your kind comment :)

Lisa, I went to your website http://www.lisayoung.lyf.com
    and I learned that you’re involved with LYF products and that Mary Ann Pettorini, LYF Chief Brand Officer, says that “we develop
    products that really try to go beyond customer needs.”

Sounds helpful.

a great day,

15. Katie Says:
    February 19th, 2011 at 6:13 PM

The messy desk example certainly felt more than a little familiar here. Now that we live in a considerably smaller place than our former apartment, it’s extremely important for my boyfriend and I to maintain a consistent cleaning schedule.

16. Tom Marcoux Says:
    February 19th, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Katie,
    about “You make a good point about being careful what descriptive words you use to describe yourself. It’s easy to get stuck in one role.”

I hear you.
    In fact, it often helps to have a coach or an advisor to point out
    some dis-empowering habit of speech one may have.

For example, some people have dis-empowering habits about
    talking about money (like “I can’t afford it.”)

I’ve set the positive thought of “Money is a tool I use well for the benefit of all involved.”

good journey,