Need some relief? Bring Humor and Laughter into your life

November 29th, 2010

16 Comments

When life feels dark, try humor to bring light and relief.

The pressure was too much. Susan thought she’d break. She tried to talk it out. She told the truth to a friend, “I’m furious. It’s not fair. My roommates just abandoned me and went to a movie and left the mess to me. And the landlord was going to inspect our apartment the next morning.”

But Susan didn’t get any relief until . . . . She laughed. How? She watched a brief TV show that she had pre-recorded.

Susan is onto something here. In fact, I watch something funny and I laugh everyday. One of my favorite shows is “Whose Line Is It, Anyway?” This is a show in which a number of comedians improvise comedic skits.

For many of us, just some brief laughter brings genuine relief. We feel better. The world seems less oppressive. Somehow, an inner lightness arises. The facts of the situation may not change, but somehow, we have awakened our inner resources.

When I teach graduate students how to add humor to their speeches, I share these details:

1. Humor always has a target.
2. You are the safe target for your humor.
3. Humor happens with the last word in the sentence.
4. Tell a story (if expressing a joke doesn’t flow easily for you).
5. Humor involves “pain at a distance.”

Recently, I visited my mother. I remembered “tell a story.” So I started telling a story and I discovered the humor in the story. What a joy to see my mother laughing.  I glanced to my right and saw that my sweetheart chuckled, too.

As a teenager, when I completed an internship, a kind co-worker gave me a gift. She included a note: “Be the rose that perfumes the hand that crushes it.” At the time, I didn’t quite connect with that phrase.

I have an optimistic approach to life. And, I can connect to part of the spirit of the co-worker’s note. Now, I say, “Learn to inspire laughter in others. Their laughter splashes onto you.” No towel needed. :)

Warmly,

P.S. Do you really want to connect with someone important? (a friend, a loved one, a job interviewer, a supervisor). See a free chapter:

Be Heard and Be Trusted:
How You Can Use Secrets of the Greatest Communicators to Get What You Want, 3rd editionfree chapter at http://bit.ly/8H0rOO

P.P.S. Get a Free Special Report “9 Deadly Mistakes to Avoid  . . . and 9 Surefire Solutions for Your Next Speech”
and learn the secrets Tom Marcoux, America’s Communication Coach, provides for CEOs, Business Owners, and Graduate Students Click for Your Free Report

Author of Nothing Can Stop You This Year: How to Unleash Your Hidden Power to Persuade Well, Get More Done, Gain Sudden Profits, Command Intuition and Feel Great – free chapter at http://bit.ly/8zQywm

and

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Categories: Double Your Sales, How to Be Trusted, Your Guide to Money and Abundance

16 Responses to “Need some relief? Bring Humor and Laughter into your life”

1. Hilory Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Hi Tom,

I so agree that humor has a way of putting most (though perhaps not all) situations in perspective. Life is illusory in many ways-we have to deal with realities, of course, but in most instances we are so focused on the reality of a challenging issue that we fail to step back to see how relatively minor this challenge truly is in the broader perspective of a life. When we hear of true tragedies, suddenly our current issue seems insignificant. So the question is why wait for a tragedy to put life in perspective? Why not use humor to do the same-with the added benefit of releasing endorphines at the same time?

Thank you for the ‘light’ but truly profound post!

2. Cliff Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Added, I enjoy your site! :)

3. Tom Marcoux Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Hilory,
    about “Life is not easy, but it doesn’t have to be hard. We are responsible for our attitudes towards the circumstances that arise. Facing life with a lighter spirit allows space for light or spirit to enter. Laughter is the bridge.”

Profound.

I have found that sometimes talking doesn’t bring the relief, but laughter can be like a refreshing glass of cool water.

Hilory,
    I went to your website http://www.diamondmediasolutions.com/
    and I learned: “Diamond Media Solutions has a team of experts who specialize in:
    Determining which of the many social media sites have real value for your business
    Creating an effective presence for your business on the right sites
    Keeping your social media presence updated, lively and pertinent to your audience
    Using Social Media to drive prospects to your videos, blogs, teleseminars, articles and of course, your website.”

Sounds powerful.

4. Danek Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Hi Tom,

5. Tom Marcoux Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Danek,
    about “Very true. During dark times, such as the loss of my parents, watching funny TV shows really helped.”

Yes. Thank you for sharing this important example.

* * * * *

Danek,
    I went to your website http://www.getfreepublicitynow.com/
    and saw your posting “Get Free Publicity by Being Newsworthy”

Very helpful.

6. Mary White-Levilain Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Mary Margaret

7. Tom Marcoux Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Mary Margaret,
    about “This is such beautiful wisdom Tom. It takes a split second to disconnect from the pain, gain new perspective and add to the lightness all around. Thank you for sharing”

Thank you for your kind, encouraging words :)

Mary Margaret,
    I went to your website http://blog.igameattitude.com/
    and I learned:
    “A primary function of coaching is to liberate the individual from any unconscious dependence and to enable him to stand for himself beyond security in an autonomy of feeling, expression, perception and action”
    from one of the postings.

Powerful.

8. Tom Marcoux Says:
    December 1st, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Cliff,
    about “Added, I enjoy your site!”

Thank you.
    This is great to hear.
    The best to you,

9. Kevin Yang Says:
    December 4th, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Hi Tom,

Best regards,

Kevin

10. Tom Marcoux Says:
    December 4th, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Kevin,
    about “Your blog is always full of wisdom. I definitely agree with you about bringing humor into my life. It has been one of the things that has kept me going. When I look back at things and have a laugh about them, they always ended up becoming insignificant and allow me to continue moving forward again.”

I hear you.
    And I find that having some big laughs (sometimes watching favorite comedians on youtube.com — for example) on a daily basis just brings me into a state of feeling
    refreshed — and stronger to make more positive things happen.

Thanks for your posting.
    Many happy moments,

11. pinball for windows 7 Says:
    December 8th, 2010 at 9:14 AM

12. pinball games Says:
    December 8th, 2010 at 5:30 PM

13. Tom Marcoux Says:
    December 8th, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Dallya,
    about “You have got a very valuable blog, I have already been here reading for around one hour. I am a newbie and your accomplishment is extremely inspirering for me.”

Thanks.
    many happy moments,

14. Tom Marcoux Says:
    December 8th, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Breehla,
    about “This content provides the light by which we can observe the truth. thanks for this wonderful content.”

Thank you!
    a great day,

15. makemoneyonlinefreecourse Says:
    December 25th, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Hey Tom, Merry Christmas!

When you write some blogs and share with us,That is a hard work for you but share makes you happly right?
    Yes I am a blogger too,and I wanna share with you my method to make some extra cash.

If you’re interested in Internet marketing then you’ve probably heard about all
    the different marketing “Gurus” out there.

They’re those marketers that have multi-million dollar launches nearly every
    time they launch, the ones that everyone’s heard of and everyone wishes they could be.

If you’re interested in becoming one of those mega masters of
    Internet marketing, you’re in luck!

I’ve created a FREE training course that can teach you exactly what
    you need to know to be come one of these renowned gurus!

In my FREE course you’ll discover what it takes to get connected with
    other marketing gurus and create a promotion circle.

The guide is extremely easy to understand and anyone can use it.
    Whether this is your first time even thinking about Internet
    marking or you’re a seasoned pro who wants to expand, this
    course is for you!

If you want to become well respected marketer or just increase
    your profits, this FREE course will help you out!

More info you can checkout http://bit.ly/makemoneyonlinefreereport
    good luck and cheers!

16. Tom Marcoux Says:
    December 27th, 2010 at 5:37 AM

H,
    about “In my FREE course you’ll discover what it takes to get connected with
    other marketing gurus and create a promotion circle.”

Thanks for this alert.